Locust Projects is currently running an OPEN CALL for Main Gallery exhibition proposals, with the aim of enabling local, national, and international visual artists to experiment with new ideas and media. We encourage artists to propose experimental, site-specific projects that are engaging and risk-taking that extend your practice in concept, scale, and/or scope. We encourage artists from all backgrounds and working in any medium looking to present experimental projects to apply. Proposals should include new installation based work that has never been presented before specifically designed for the Main Gallery. Collectives and artist collaborations are encouraged to apply as long as the work is presented as a singular vision.
MAIN GALLERY OPPORTUNITY
- Solo exhibition of new installation-based work created specifically for Locust Projects Main Space (approx. 1500 square feet) *highlighted in green on the floorplan
- Community engagement with the public through an activation (i.e. conversation, collaboration, performance)
MAIN GALLERY SUPPORT INCLUDES
- $5000-$10,000 Project Budget (may include but is not limited to: production/fabrication, equipment rental, materials, professional/technical support, installation/construction labor, assistants, shipping, de-installation) Budget determined based upon dates, scope and scale of project, feasibility.
- Artist WAGE Fee (approximately $1000)
- $1000 stipend towards flights and ground transport available to artists that live 150 miles away from Miami. (above and beyond travel expenses shall be applied to production budget)
- Accommodation at the Locust Projects Residency house which is walking distance to the space
- Basic infrastructure provided by Locust Projects includes access to existing tool and av equipment inventory, up to 20 hours preparator labor/assistance, signage, installation documentation, and promotional support.
THE SELECTION PROCESS
The proposals are reviewed by a committee of artists that have previously exhibited at Locust Projects. The committee rotates on a regular basis.
The following criteria will be used during the review process:
- Conceptual strength of the proposal
- Strength of past work
- Unique or innovative approach
- Feasibility of proposed project
Please keep in mind, we are not a traditional gallery space. If the exhibition could easily be presented in a traditional gallery setting or could be realized without the support of our organization, it is unlikely for us to consider your proposal. We do not host traveling exhibitions, retrospectives, or group shows. We are not a commercial gallery, we do not offer artist representation.
A single PDF that is no more than 5mb which includes:
1. Project description (max. 500 words)
2. Project floorplan/rendering of proposed project (floorplan is available here and on our website)
3. General artist statement (max. 250 words)
4. CV or Resume
5. Up to eight images of previous/related work
6. Image details (title, year, medium, links to video work)
Locust Projects’ annual Smash and Grab will be held on October 26, 2019, Thanks to the support of artists like you, Locust Projects has grown from an artist-run alternative space to one of the country’s foremost incubator of new art and ideas. Over the years, we have maintained our steady focus on supporting artists and engaging Miami’s art community and we do it with your support.
There is no other fundraiser quite like this one. It revolves around a raffle, for which local, national and international artists donate artwork — so that each raffle ticket holder is guaranteed an artwork. Tickets are drawn at random during, with the winner getting their choice of artwork. The result is a fun way to place artwork into collections, inspire new collectors in an informal environment, build networking opportunities for artists, connect with Miami’s art community, and support Locust Projects.
UP TO 100 art works will be selected. Selected artists will be notified before Sept 10.
September 30 -- Deadline for Art Work to be submitted
October 11 -- Deadline for art work to arrive at Locust Projects
October 26 -- Smash and Grab
CRITERIA: To be a successful fundraiser, we require that all art works must have minimum commercial value of $500. Works must be ready to hang with mounting hardware and installation instructions provided; unframed works on paper are considered on a case-by-case basis as our framing budget is limited.
To THANK YOU, selected Smash and Grab donating artists receive:
-2019 Smash and Grab Fundraiser admission (+ guest) ($100 value)
-Complimentary admission for two to Spring Fling in April 2020 ($300 value)
-1 year Locust Projects Membership at the pARTner ($60) level. Which includes:
- Invitations to professional development workshops related to careers in the arts
- Dedicated Artist Edition of E-news featuring upcoming grants, open calls, residency and public art opportunities
- Access to LegalLink pro bono legal services serving Florida artists since 2003.
LegalLink services are available to Locust Projects members at the pARTners ($60) level or above. This small membership fee helps us to continue to provide high quality legal services to the arts community. Please visit Locust Projects' membership page and select the level of your choice.
If you are an artist in need of legal services, please register here. After you submit your registration, you can expect someone from the LegalLink staff to follow up within 24 to 48 hours.