Founded by artists for artists in 1998, Locust Projects is Miami’s longest running nonprofit alternative art space. We produce, present, and nurture ambitious and experimental new art and the exchange of ideas through commissioned exhibitions and projects, artist residencies, summer art intensives for teens, and public programs on contemporary art and curatorial practice. As a leading incubator of new art and ideas, Locust Projects emphasizes boundary-pushing creative endeavors, risk-taking and experimentation by local, national and international artists. We invest in South Florida’s arts community by providing artists with project grants and empower creative careers by supporting the administrative work of being an artist through an onsite artist resource hub and access to pro bono legal services.
Locust Projects and Oolite Arts announce an Open Call for Miami-based artists to have a studio visit with one of three internationally renowned directors or curators who is speaking this fall in the 2022 Talks series:
FALL 2022 TALKS SPEAKERS
- Wednesday, September 14, 2022 - Rachel Kent, CEO of Bundanon Trust, formerly Chief curator of the MCA Australia
- Wednesday, October 19, 2022 - Larry Ossei-Mensah, Curator and Co-founder of ARTNOIR
- Wednesday, November 9, 2022 - José Diaz, Susan Brotman Deputy Director for Art at the Seattle Art Museum (SAM)
Studio Visits are a unique component of Talks, offering Miami-based artists one-on-one professional development opportunities to gain insights and expertise from leading curators with a national and international perspective.
In addition to applying for Studio Visits, make sure you register to attend the Fall 2022 Talks series held at the Little Haiti Cultural Complex, where arts leaders talk about their curatorial vision and practice, the art and artists that have shaped their careers, and how they support the work of artists whether in museums or non-traditional spaces.
Talks are free and open to the public. Sign up today at http://talks.miami/ All past Talks are available to watch online at Talks.Miami
Please note - artists who have had a Talks studio visit in the last two years will not be eligible for a Fall 2022 studio visit.
Submissions for Fall 2022 Talks Studio Visits are open until September 1 at 11:59pm.
Artist Submission Requirements:
- CV or resume that includes exhibition history, publications, and awards
- Brief artist statement describing your work and studio practice (no more than 250 words)
- Up to six images or video links of recent and/or most representative work (including the title, medium, and dimensions)
- Indicate if you are a past studio resident Alum of Oolite Arts (or the former ArtCenter/South Florida)
- Specify which Fall 2022 Talks speaker is your first choice, followed by second and third, in order of preference.
- Selected artists will be notified approximately one week prior to the visit. Studio visits are in-person will take place at your studio or an agreed upon location conducive to seeing your work, on or near the date of the scheduled Talks with date/time confirmed upon selection. We will do our best to accommodate your preferred schedule within time and travel limitations.
- For more information contact: email@example.com.