Locust Projects is currently running an OPEN CALL for Project Room exhibition proposals, with the aim of enabling local, national, and international visual artists to experiment with new ideas and media. We encourage artists to propose experimental, site-specific projects that are engaging and risk-taking that extend your practice in concept, scale, and/or scope. We encourage artists from all backgrounds and working in any medium looking to present experimental projects to apply. Proposals should include new installation based work that has never been presented before specifically designed for the Project Room. Collectives and artist collaborations are encouraged to apply as long as the work is presented as a singular vision.
PROJECT ROOM OPPORTUNITY
- Solo exhibition of new installation-based work created specifically for Locust Projects Project Room (approx. 375 square feet) *highlighted in yellow on the floorplan
- Community engagement with the public through an activation (i.e. conversation, collaboration, performance)
PROJECT ROOM SUPPORT INCLUDES
- $2500-5000 Project Budget (may include but is not limited to: production/fabrication, equipment rental, materials, professional/technical support, installation/construction labor, assistants, shipping, de-installation) Budget determined based upon dates, scope and scale of project, feasibility.
- Artist WAGE Fee (approximately $1000)
- $750 stipend towards flights and ground transport available to artists that live 150 miles away from Miami. (above and beyond travel expenses shall be applied to production budget)
- Accommodation at the Locust Projects Residency house which is walking distance to the space
- Basic infrastructure provided by Locust Projects includes access to existing tool and av equipment inventory, up to 20 hours preparator labor/assistance, signage, installation documentation, and promotional support.
THE SELECTION PROCESS
The proposals are reviewed by a committee of artists that have previously exhibited at Locust Projects. The committee rotates on a regular basis.
The following criteria will be used during the review process:
- Conceptual strength of the proposal
- Strength of past work
- Unique or innovative approach
- Feasibility of proposed project
Please keep in mind, we are not a traditional gallery space. If the exhibition could easily be presented in a traditional gallery setting or could be realized without the support of our organization, it is unlikely for us to consider your proposal. We do not host traveling exhibitions, retrospectives, or group shows. We are not a commercial gallery, we do not offer artist representation.
1. A single PDF that is no more than 5mb which includes
1. Project description (max. 500 words)
2. Project floorplan/rendering of proposed project (floorplan is available here and on our website)
3. General artist statement (max. 250 words)
4. CV or Resume
5. Up to eight images of previous/related work
6. Image details