2023 LAB! Summer Art Intensive for Teens
Build the World You Imagine!
Applications are now open for 2023 Locust Art Builders (LAB): Summer Art Intensive for Teens. The deadline to apply is Saturday, June 10.
About Locust Art Builders (LAB): Now in its 13th year, LAB is a unique summer art intensive for high school students with an interest in art, design, and exploring creative careers. 30 students will be selected from across Miami-Dade County to learn from professional artists in a dynamic program on-site this summer. They will dive right into the creative, and practical, aspects of completing a collaborative full-scale exhibition at Locust Projects!
Want to learn more about what makes LAB so special? See this video created by past LAB students!
Program Dates & Times: This year's program will be led by artist and educator Loni Johnson. The program will be held June 20-July 21, 2023, Tuesday - Friday, 10am-2pm, with the exhibition opening on the final day: Saturday, July 22. Students will meet in person at Locust Projects with take home activities and field trips.
LAB is FREE for all students.
- Students will be provided with free lunch daily.
- Students may request a transportation stipend to assist with travel to and from Locust Projects.
- Students will receive a Builder Box with art supplies and more as well as an artist edition shirt.
- Students may be able to receive community service hours for their participation; please ask your school for details.
What's on the application?
- WHY IS LAB FOR YOU? Express your interest in LAB via text or video. We'd love to know what you want to learn this summer and why you are a good fit for this opportunity!
- SHOW US YOUR CREATIVE SIDE: Share up to 8 recently completed art works, designs, or projects. You can upload photos of your work or show us your work in a short video!
- IMAGE CAPTION SHEET: Please include a PDF with the title, media, date, and a brief description of each art work.
- OPTIONAL: Letter of recommendation from a teacher, mentor, or advisor.
Who is eligible? Students currently enrolled in public or private high schools in Miami-Dade County. Students must have completed at least one year of high school by June 2023. Rising 10th, 11th, and 12th graders as well as graduating 12th graders are all eligible to apply.
Who is not eligible? Students who are in middle school, entering ninth grade in the fall, or who graduated in 2022 or prior.
Can I apply if I am not sure I want to go to art school? Of course! LAB is the perfect place to explore your interest in art or design, learn how to make things using new skills and tools, and learn all about careers in the arts. Whether or not you go to art school, LAB can help you gain confidence and learn how to problem solve creatively.
Can I work on my personal projects as part of LAB? While some activities will involve working independently, working collaboratively with other young artists is a crucial part of LAB. Most projects, and the final exhibition, are produced as a team. Personal art practices often feed into this final result, but it is important that applicants understand that they will also be required to work closely with other young artists during LAB. If you are not open to working collaboratively as part of a team, this program might not be the right fit for you.
Can PDFs include links? Yes, they may include links to websites, video hosting services like YouTube or Vimeo, as well as links to galleries, previous exhibitions, and/or past reviews, if applicable.
Can I submit my application without using the online submission system Submittable? Unfortunately, no. All submissions must be submitted through Submittable. Submittable accounts are free. If you need assistance completing your application, please let us know by reaching out to firstname.lastname@example.org. We're happy to help!
Who can I speak to if I have more questions? For more info, please contact: email@example.com or 305.576.8570. Locust Projects is committed to inclusion, diversity, equity, and access. If you need support to participate in LAB, please let us know.